How many times have I been to Rome only to discover that I have so much more to see and do? That’s one reason why I am so charmed by the eternal city, you never really finish visiting here ~ there will always be something new.
I am always amazed that the bulk of my passengers run from the plane at FCO to their cruise ships at Civitavecchia Port and miss all the splendor that is Rome itself.
Do yourself a favor, take some time and explore (ON FOOT) some of the more major places in Rome.
Do’s / Don’ts:
- Don’t buy the madness from any of the Indian street sellers, they will be persistent and you have to be persistent too in telling them to leave you alone.
- Do stop by the Piazza Navonna and examine the statue of the Four Rivers by Bernini in the center, you are looking back some 400 years into the past.
- The Vatican Museum is best seen in the afternoons or off-season, the tourist hoards pack in the mornings and ruin the entire experience (Disney wishes they could pack in the throngs like this!)
- The Coliseum is now open to be toured at the basement level, it’s a personal choice, but again, wait for the afternoons.
- Don’t try to do Rome in a couple of days, it’s like Disneyworld, you can’t do it!
- The Trevi Fountain tends to slack off in the early afternoons, most tourists are busy elsewhere. Gelatos are very good from this area (as practically everywhere).
There are so many more recommendations that I will have to come back to this post from time to time. If Rome is in your future, I would suggest “following” this post in particular. Like Rick Steves, this is my Europe and I enjoy sharing! Am also sort of a history buff, so I tend towards things that are more important historically.
I didn’t originally post this, but I have most definitely seen all of them, welcome to the world, now sit down and shut up, you’re embarrassing us!
If you’re just that gay, then here are some ideas for Halloween!
Certainly going to give this place a try!
Amazing World – Google+ – Do not adjust your eye sockets. For once, this is not some….
Some things on this planet are just so incredible, it should remind us to be humble in the face of nature!